This Plant-Based Tasty Lentil Pie is bursting with flavour. It’s filling and satisfying and is a great centerpiece if you’re having friends or family round for Easter lunch. Be careful with the spice as it’s very easy to make it too hot for some members of the family who aren’t used to lots of hot spices.
- 200 g Puy lentils rinsed so the water runs clear
- 4 garlic cloves crushed and left for 10 minutes
- 3 carrots diced into equal sizes
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder To suit your taste - mild, medium or hot
- 1 inch fresh ginger finely grated
- 1 keek finely chopped
- 450 ml bouillon
- 450 ml carrot juice
- 200 g spring greens or cavolo nero
- 100 g dried apricots preferably organic
- 1 bunch coriander finely chopped
- 1 packet filo pastry
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 large red onion cut into thin wedges
- Put the Puy lentils, garlic, red onion, carrots, mixed spice, cumin, coriander, chilli, ginger, leek, stock and carrot juice in a large pan. Bring to the boil and simmer for 25 minutes until the lentils have absorbed the stock and carrot juice.
- Stir in the Spring greens for 3-4 minutes stirring continuously then add the apricots and the coriander and stir to mix. Use a Pyrex dish or tine about 27x18 cm and put a couple of sheets of filo pastry on the bottom of one half of the tin, then another two sheets on the bottom of the other side of the tin. Let the extra filo pastry hang over the edges. You'll tuck them in a bit later on.
- Add the lentil mixture to the Pyrex dish/tin and fold over the filo pastry. Add another couple of sheets of pastry over the top, score diamonds into the pastry with a sharp knife and then brush with rice or almond milk then sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Bake in a preheated over for about 35-40 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Serve with baby new potatoes, tender stem broccoli and cavolo nero.
Up above, I shared with you my recipe for my Plant-Based Tasty Lentil Pie. If you’ve made or you’d like to make it, SHARE it with people you think will find it valuable.
You can use the buttons to share this post with your social networks. Hopefully you will and so I’ll give you a big THANK YOU in anticipation.