How about Plant-Based Stuffed Butternut Squash with Quinoa for dinner today?
Continuing with our Orange is the new pink topic this month (click here for more info), this butternut squash is full of beta carotene and is stuffed with quinoa, an ancient grain that’s packed with all the essential amino acids (and so all the protein) you’ll need. It’s gluten free and low on the glycemic index. What a powerhouse!
If you’re not buying a ready to eat quinoa and you’re preparing your own, make sure you rinse it very well and cook it in a vegan stock such as Marigold vegan bouillon. The quinoa soaks up the stock and adds to its flavour.
Plant-Based Stuffed Butternut Squash with Quinoa
- Pyrex roasting dish
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring jug
- Sharp paring knives
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 50 g toasted pine nuts
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- juice of half lemon
- 50 g pitted black olives I used Kalamata
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 6 baby tomatoes - roasted
- 150 g ready to eat quinoa or cook your own
- Heat the oven to 200c or fan 180c. Cut the butternut squash in half lengthways and scope out the seeds. Score the flesh lightly with a sharp knife to make a diamond pattern.
- Place the two halves face up on a pyrex dish or baking tray and season with freshly ground black pepper, the dried oregano, and if you must, a very small amount of salt such as Maldon Sea Salt. Add one quarter cup of water to the dish then put the squash in the oven to cook for 40 minutes. Check half way through to top up the water if necessary.
- Add the baby tomatoes to the squash tray and put back into the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- While the squash and baby tomatoes are roasting away, put all the other ingredients into a bowl and mix. Once the baby tomatoes are ready you can add these to the mix as well. Spoon the filling into and onto the squash. Put them back into the over for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.
Up above, I shared with you my recipe for Plant-Based Stuffed Butternut Squash with Quinoa. If you made and enjoyed it, please take a moment to SHARE this post with your friends and family.
You can use the buttons above left to share. Thank you!