This is a delicious spicy lentil and parsnip cottage pie, it’s one of those lovely comforting foods that’s very satisfying and filling. Serve it with some broccoli and green beans.
Why are lentils so good for you?
They’re a great low fat source of protein, complex carbohydrates, dietary fibre, vitamins and minerals like iron, potassium and folate. And because they don’t come from animals, they have no cholesterol.
Studies have shown that people who eat at least half cup of pulses per day have higher intakes of fibre, protein, calcium, potassium, folate, zinc, iron, and magnesium as well as lower intakes of total and saturated fat.
Research has also shown that eating pulses can lower cholesterol and blood pressure, which are both risk factors for heart disease. 1
Pulses can help you to manage your blood sugar levels and diabetes because they do not cause blood sugar levels to rise as much as sugary or starchy foods that are low in fibre.
For more information on why fibre is fantastic for us go here.
Aim to eat three servings of legumes each day. A serving is a half-cup/80g of cooked beans or ½ cup/80g low-fat bean spread for example.
It’s incredibly easy to make and serves four unless you’re really hungry. Enjoy!
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrot chopped
- 650 g parsnip sliced
- 1 leek sliced
- 400 g tin of tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 225 g red lentils wash the lentils under cold water
- 2 tablespoons curry paste use whatever strength you prefer
- Add a little water to your pan and cook the onions and carrots for about five minutes until they're soft. Add the lentils, curry paste, tomatoes, tomato puree and 300ml/half a pint of water. Cover then simmer for 25 minutes until tender. Remember to keep checking it to make sure it hasn't caught on.
- While this is cooking away it's time to make the mash! Cooks the parsnips in boiling water for 10 minutes then add the leeks for the last two minutes until they're all tender. Drain then season and mash away.
- Once the lentil mixture is cooked, put into a flame proof dish like a Pyrex dish and then put the mash on top. Put it into the over and grill under golden.