This tasty, savoury plant-based rice is great hot or cold with the plant-based adzuki bean burgers instead of the sweet potato chips, or with the plant-based falafel. You can also serve it with the crunchy walnut and cress salad.
It’s best to serve rice when it has just been cooked. If that isn’t possible, cool the rice as quickly as possible (ideally within one hour) and keep it in the fridge for no more than one day until reheating. For more info please go here.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Let me know how you get on making it by leaving me a comment below.
If you like it, please share with your friends and family. Thank you!
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed then finely chopped
- 100 g brown basmati rice rinsed in cold water and cooked as per the packet instructions, but with your choice of stock and not just water
- 200 g frozen peas
- 2 large carrots washed, peeled if required and finely grated
- 2-3 tablespoons Tamari or low salt soy sauce
- Cook the brown basmati rice as per the packet instructions, except use your chosen vegetable stock rather than water to cook it.
- While the rice is cooking gently cook your onion and garlic in a little water. Add about 2cm/two inches of cold water to a pot and then add your onions and garlic. Stir gently adding more water as the water evaporates. Continue doing this for between five and seven minutes until the onions are soft and have a slight golden colour about them. Set aside.
- Cook your frozen peas as you would normally for about four minutes. While they're cooking, clean and if necessary peel your carrots and then finely grate them.
- Once your rice is cooked, and drained if required, add the onions, garlic, carrots and peas to the mixture and stir. Finally, add two to three tablespoons of Tamari or low salt soy sauce and stir through.
- You can serve warm, as is, or let it cool and serve cold.
To finish up…
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to SHARE it with your friends and family, just use the buttons on the left. Hopefully you will and so I’ll give you a big THANK YOU in anticipation.