This Plant-Based Root Vegetable and Barley Soup is great to make when you’ve got left over root vegetables. I used parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes, turnip and celeriac with the barley. Make sure you rinse the barley until the water runs clear before adding to the pot.
I served it with red cabbage and whole grain bread and a fruit salad. Perfect for lunch or as a light supper!
- 1 kg root vegetables I used sweet potato, carrot, parsnip, turnip and celeriac
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery chopped
- 1.5 litre bouillon/stock
- 150 g pearl barley rinsed until the water runs clear
- freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of Maldon Sea Salt
- Put all the vegetables in a pot with 3 cm of water and cook until soft – about 5-7 minutes. Add more water if necessary.
- Add the stock and barley to the pot and stir. Bring to the boil then turn down and simmer for 30-35 minutes – until the root vegetables are cooked.
- Taste, then if needed, add the freshly ground black pepper and add a pinch of Maldon sea salt.
- Serve with brown bread and a salad.
Up above, I shared with you Plant-Based Root Vegetable and Barley Soup. If you found this post helpful, please take a moment to SHARE this post with people you think will find it valuable. You can use the buttons to share this post with your social networks. Hopefully you will and so I’ll give you a big THANK YOU in anticipation.