Oh no, I hear you say, not another chilli. I know, I hear you, but this Plant-Based Quick Black Bean Chilli is super quick to make and tastes delicious. You can literally make it in 10 minutes, although if you serve it with rice it’ll take a bit longer. I’ve served it with broccoli and green beans for a nutrient packed dinner with enough left over for lunch the next day.
If you’d like to read why broccoli is so good for you head across to this blog post, once you read it you’ll be having cruciferous veg every day of the week!
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic squashed and then minced
- 16 oz rinsed black beans
- 8 oz crushed fire roasted tomatoes or a tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- squeeze of lime
- brown rice as desired
- Saute the onion over a medium to high heat in a little water until they've browned. Add a thin layer of water and quickly stir the onion. Let the onion sit and the water evaporate. Repeat this procedure two to four times. The more you do it the deeper the flavour of the onions.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic and sauté for one minute.
- Add the black beans, tomatoes, chilli, oregano and cumin. Mix everything together then simmer for at least five minutes.
- Spoon into warm bowls and serve with brown rice cooked as per the packet instructions, broccoli and green beans for a tasty and filling dinner. To give it added zing, squeeze the lime over the chilli as soon as it comes off the heat.