This delicious Plant-Based Roasted Tomato Sauce with Whole Wheat Pasta makes a delicious and satisfying quick dinner when you want something to eat sooner rather than later!
Remember to use water and not oil when roasting your tomatoes, just add a couple of centimetres of water to your roasting tin and keep an eye on it to ensure the water doesn’t evaporate, if it does just add more. Grind some black pepper over the tomatoes and a little crushed Maldon sea salt to bring out their flavour.
Just as you use water to roast the tomatoes, it’s the same with cooking your onions and garlic on the stove. Just a few centimetres of water is all that’s needed in the pot. No oil required!
A watercress and spinach salad goes well with your plant based vegan roasted tomato sauce with whole wheat pasta or tender stem broccoli with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
- 1 punnet of baby tomatoes half each tomato
- 500 g passata (That's a packet from the supermarket.)
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed then choppe
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary crushed between your fingers
- 1 teaspoon dried basil crushed between your fingers
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Marjoram
- 15 pitted Kalamata olives (Optional)
- 2 teaspoons capers (Optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- whole wheat pasta of your choice cooked as per packet instructions
- Put the chopped onion and garlic in a medium sized pot with 4 cm of water and cook for 5-6 minutes unit the onion is transparent. Don't let it catch on, if it looks as though it will, just add more water a little at a time.
- Put the baby tomatoes in an oven proof dish with 2 cm of water. Grind some black pepper over them and a little Maldon sea salt then put them in the over for 20 minutes, turning them after the first 10 minutes.
- Add the carton of passata to the onions and garlic, all the dried herbs and stir well. Turn the heat down and simmer very gently for 15 minutes keeping an eye on it and stirring regularly to avoid it catching on. The mixture should reduce down to a thick sauce.
- Once the tomatoes are roasted add them to the tomato mixture with the optional olives and capers. Stir and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Pour the tomato mixture in with your cooked whole wheat pasta and stir. Spoon into warm bowls and serve with a watercress and spinach salad, or tender stem broccoli dressed with fresh lemon juice.