This delicious Plant-Based Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup is another one that’s perfect for lunch or to serve as a starter when you’ve got friends round to dinner.
I use tinned plum tomatoes and a punnet of cherry tomatoes to make this tasty soup. You don’t need to add the basil if you don’t want to, but I think it’s very tasty if you do! You can pick up fresh basil from your local supermarket, just look in the fruit and veg section.
Remember to use water and not oil when roasting your tomatoes, just add a couple of centimetres of water to your roasting tin and keep an eye on it to ensure the water doesn’t evaporate, if it does just add more.
Plant-Based Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup
- Large stock pot
- Wooden spoon
- Soup bowls
- Measuring jug
- Sharp paring knives
- 800 g tins whole plum tomatoes Separate the tomatoes from their liquid, but keep the liquid to add to the soup.
- 1 punnet cherry or baby tomatoes
- 1 basil finely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp crushed red chilli flakes (Optional)
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 28 g fresh basil leaves finely chopped. Keep three sprigs whole to add to the pot.
- 500 ml bouillon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Take the separated plum tomatoes and add them to the roasting tin with the water and the punnet of baby or cherry tomatoes.
- Wrap all the whole garlic cloves with their skins still on in tin foil and add to the roasting tin. Put the roasting tin in the preheated oven for 15 minutes turn them over and then cook for a further 15 minutes. 30 minutes in total.
- Meanwhile, out 4cm of water into a soup pot and add the chopped onions. Cook for 5-7 minutes until they're transparent.
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven and add to the onions with all the other ingredients. Take the garlic from the foil and squeeze the roasted garlic out into the pot. Bring the soup to the boil then turn the heat down and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes to let all the flavours blend beautifully together.
- Remove the soup from the heat and let it cool slightly before blending either using a stick blender or a regular blender.
- Ladle into warm soup bowls and serve with fresh warm bread.
Up above, I shared with you Plant-Based Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup. If you found this post helpful, please take a moment to SHARE this post with people you think will find it valuable. You can use the buttons to share this post with your social networks. Hopefully you will and so I’ll give you a big THANK YOU in anticipation.