This Plant-Based Tabbouleh is very easy and quick to make and has a deliciously light nutty flavour. It’s a great accompaniment to the rosemary and nut burgers and the plant-based bean salad and makes a filling lunch or a light dinner.
Plant-based Tabbouleh is made with bulgur wheat, a whole grain that is a great source of manganese and dietary fibre. In fact just one cup of bulgur wheat will supply you with one third of your RDA of fibre. It’s also a good source of copper, magnesium, and pantothenic acid. (If you’d like to find out more about how much fibre you need, just click here.)
Feel free to add a whole variety of other ingredients to this basic recipe including chopped tomatoes, diced cucumber, crushed garlic, chopped black olives, sliced avocados, chopped red and green pepper and sliced red onion. It’s great in a sealed container to take to lunch for work or when you’re having a picnic.
Tweet: Delicious plant-based tabbouleh recipe. Go on, give it a try!
If you’ve made more than you can eat, just store it in an airtight container in the fridge.
I’d love to hear how you get on making it and the other ingredients you’ve added. Just leave me a comment below.
If you like this recipe, please share it with your friends and family. Thank you!
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Sharp paring knives
- 225 g bulgur wheat
- huge bunch of fresh parsley stalks removed, washed, rinsed and finely chopped
- 10 sprigs of fresh mint stalks removed, washed, rinsed and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions/scallions trimmed and finely chopped
- juice of one lemon
- Maldon sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Follow the cooking instructions for the bulgur wheat on the packet. This usually means putting the bulgur wheat in a bowl and covering it with boiling water and letting it sit for about 20 - 30 minutes.
- Once the wheat is ready and you've prepared the other ingredients, just add the parsley, mint, spring onion and lemon juice to the wheat and mix together. Add a little more lemon juice if you want. Season with salt and pepper then cover and chill until you're ready to use it.