This Plant-Based Sweet and Sour Vegetables with Brown Rice recipe is very simple to make. You can use any vegetables that you have to hand, just remember to adjust the cooking time if you’re not cooking root vegetables, for instance cabbage, courgette, aubergine etc don’t take as long to cook.
If you wanted, you could also add some cooked beans e.g. butterbeans or cannellini beans to the pot with the vegetables.
This dish is bursting with flavour, serve it with some cabbage, broccoli or Brussels sprouts and you’ll be coming back for seconds!
To read more about legumes, just click here, and to read more about the power of fibre for health, go here.
I hope you enjoy this Plant-Based Sweet and Sour Vegetables with Brown Rice dish as much as I do!
Plant-Based Sweet and Sour Vegetables with Brown Rice
- Wooden spoon
- Sharp paring knives
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 315 ml Marigold vegan bouillon
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Tamari low salt
- 1 red onion finely sliced
- 1 parsnip finely sliced
- 1 carrot finely sliced
- 1 sweet potato finely sliced
- pinch cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- brown rice to your taste cooked as per packet instructions
- Cook the onion and garlic in 3cm/1inch of water for about 5 minutes. Cook the brown rice as per the instructions on the packet.
- Add all the other vegetables, cinnamon, ginger and paprika and stir together, cook over a high heat for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the stock, turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Cover the pot with a lid.
- After 10 minutes, add the honey, vinegar, Tamari soy sauce to the pot, stir and cook for a further 5 minutes until the liquid has been reduced.
- Spoon the vegetables over the brown rice and serve with some steamed cabbage, broccoli or Brussels sprouts.