I was stumped as to what to make for lunch the other day, when I remembered that the fresh mint was becoming to come through in the garden, so I made this super simple Plant-Based Pea Broccoli and Mint Soup.
It couldn’t be easier, fresher or more delicious. I served it with some fresh wholemeal bread and a simple avocado and walnut salad. If you prefer your summer soup thinner, just add some more stock to it. If you prefer a stronger flavour of peppermint, simply add more peppermint leaves.
As you’d expect, this dish is loaded with fibre, from all the veg – peas, broccoli and onions, but if you suffer from irritable bowel syndrome, it may help you too. Why? Because peppermint doesn’t only pack a huge refreshing taste punch, it’s also great at relieving the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, including indigestion, dyspepsia, and colonic muscle spasms. It’s thought that the healing properties of peppermint are related to its smooth muscle relaxing ability.
Peppermint is very easy to grow, and unless you contain it, it will spread all over your garden. I don’t mind when it does that, as it gives me loads of fresh peppermint to make into soups, teas, salads and to sprinkle over my veg. Check out how to grow it here.
I hope you enjoy my nutritious and delicious new summertime recipe for Plant-Based Pea, Broccoli and Mint Soup as much as I do! Let me know below what you think of it.
- 2 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed then chopped
- 500 g frozen peas
- 1 head broccoli chopped
- 1 pint plant-based bouillon / stock
- 1 bunch fresh mint chopped. I used about 30 large leaves
- Saute the onions for about five minutes until soft, then add the garlic and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the frozen pea, chopped broccoli, mint and stock then stir to combine the all together.
- Bring to a boil then turn down and simmer for 20 minutes until the broccoli is cooked through.
- Using either a hand blender, or counter top blender, blend the soup until smooth. Then ladle into warm bowls and serve with fresh crusty wholemeal bread and a simple green salad.
If losing weight for your summer holidays is one of your goals, then consider following a whole food, plant-based diet and you’ll not only be able to eat this delicious Plant-Based Pea, Broccoli and Mint Soup, you’ll be able to lose weight too!
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe.
Let me know in the comments section below. Thank you!
Oh, and don’t forget to share it with your friends and family using the buttons to the left of this page.