Posted by https://carolinesplantbaseddiet.com/plant-based-minestrone/
© 2017 Caroline's Plant Based Diet. All rights reserved.
Plant-Based Minstrone Soup
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed then finely chopped
- 4 celery sticks (finely sliced)
- 3 courgettes (finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (finely chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 potato (chopped into small pieces)
- 400g/14oz tin of borlotti beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1 litre/2 pints Marigold bouillon or similar stock
- 10 strands of spaghetti (broken into one inch long pieces)
- 200g/7oz spring green (chopped finely)
- 4 fresh tomatoes (roughly chopped)
- black pepper to taste
- Put the onions, garlic, celery, carrots, courgettes, potato, bay leaf and oregano into a large soup pot with two inches of cold water. Put the lid on and sweat the veg over a low heat for about 15 minutes - until they start to become soft.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, stock and borlotti beans to the pot with the tomato puree and cook for a further 15 minutes with the lid on, then add the broken spaghetti and spring greens and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Check the potatoes are cooked by piercing them with a knife if the knife pierces the potato easily, it's cooked, if it doesn't, you need to cook it for a further five minutes or so.
- If the soup is too thick, just add some more boiling water or stock to the pot to get it to a consistency you like. Check that the spaghetti is cooked, season with the black pepper to your taste, then ladle into warm soup bowls.
- Serve on it's own or with a few slices of whole grain bread with sliced avocado and baby plum tomatoes. It makes a wonderfully satisfying lunch or light evening meal.
- Remember to remove the bay leaf before serving!
Loading nutrition data...