This super, simple plant-based lentil and tomato soup is easy to make and tastes delicious. You can make a big pot of it at the start of the week and have it for lunch, or have it as a starter and then divide it up into portions to freeze so you always have some delicious homemade soup on stand-by when you just can’t be bothered cooking.
They’re a great low fat source of protein, complex carbohydrates, dietary fibre, vitamins and minerals like iron, potassium and folate. And because they don’t come from animals, they have no cholesterol.
Did you know that lentils are even packed with prebiotics? They feed our friendly gut flora, who in turn feed us right back with, as Dr Greger says in his new book: How Not To Die:
“beneficial compounds, such as propionate, that relax your stomach and slow the rate at which sugars are absorbed into your system.”
Chickpeas and other legumes have a similar effect.
I hope you enjoy my new recipe for plant-based lentil and tomato soup as much as I do!
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 3 sticks of celery chopped
- 3 carrots chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed then chopped
- 8 oz red lentils rinsed so the water runs clear
- 1 litre vegan stock
- 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- Put all the vegetables in a pot with about an inch/2cm of cold water. Stir together, then cook over a gentle heat, with the lid on, for about 15 minutes.
- Add the rinsed red lentils, the stock and the tomatoes. Stir, bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer.
- Keep the lid on and cook for a further 20 minutes. Keep an eye on the soup and stir occasionally to ensure it doesn't catch-on. Add more hot water if you think it's too thick.
- Heat some bowls then serve the soup for lunch or as a starter with some homemade wholemeal bread.
If losing weight is one of your goals this year then consider following a whole food, plant-based diet and you’ll not only be able to eat this delicious plant-based lentil and tomato soup, you’ll be able to lose weight too!
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe.
Let me know in the comments section below. Thank you!
Oh, and don’t forget to share it with your friends and family using the buttons to the left of this page.