So, what do you do with a can of kidney beans, a can of green lentils and some ground flaxseed? Plant-based lentil and bean burgers of course! Super quick to make with lashings of spices, they’re delicious!
I served them with a green salad and topped them with mashed avocado (just half a lime and some ground dried chillies) and freshly grated beetroot. You can also serve them with fried onions (fry in water, not oil), sweet potato chips (baked in the oven) and a green salad.
I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
I’d love to hear if you made and whether you enjoyed it. Let me know. Thank you!
Quick, Plant-Based Lentil and Bean Burgers
- 400 g /14oz cans cooked kidney beans drained
- 400 g /14oz cans cooked green lentils drained
- 30 g /1oz ground flaxseeds
- 50 g /2oz spring greens or kale finely chopped
- juice of half a lemon
- half teaspoon chilli powder
- half teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- half teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 8 tablespoons fresh coriander/cilantro finely chopped
- Put the cooked beans and lentils in a bowl with the lemon juice, spices, coriander/cilantro and black pepper. Mash together.
- Add the flaxseed and the spring greens or kale. Mix well.
- Divide into six burgers of equal size. I used two spoons to form the shape.
- Place the burgers on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Sprinkle half the sesame seeds over them and pat them down.
- Bake in an oven at 180 degrees C fan or gas 4 for 10 minutes, then turn over and sprinkle the remaining sesame seeds on the burgers. Again pat the seeds into the burgers. Bake for another 10 minutes on the other side. They are fragile, so turn with care.
- Serve with your choice of salad, or fried onions (fried in water), or top with mashed avocado and grated fresh beetroot.
Oh, and don’t forget to share it with your friends and family using the buttons to the left of this page.