I have called this Plant-Based Katsu Curry, but while it has the sauce of a Katsu curry, it doesn’t have the usual bread crumbed chicken or beef. In fact, it doesn’t have the bread crumbed vegetables either, as I don’t particularly like them, especially when they’ve been deep fried, but I do like the sauce, hence this recipe.
I’ve cooked the vegetables – wonderful cruciferous veggies – broccoli, cauliflower and the beta-carotene loaded sweet potato separately, then added them to the sauce. You can choose other vegetables if you prefer such as aubergine and courgette, they’ll work just as well. I served mine on a bed of brown rice and as a finishing touch, I added roasted cashew nuts and scallions/spring onions.
I hope you enjoy my Plant-Based Katsu Curry as much as I do!
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 5cm/2in fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder - to your own taste
- 2 tablespoons plain or corn flour
- 600ml/1 pint plant-based/vegan stock
- 60ml/2 1/2fl oz low salt soy sauce or tamari
- 2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 carrot (finely chopped)
- 1 handful cashew nuts, roasted
- 4 spring onions/scallions (finely chopped)
- Half head broccoli (broken into small florets)
- Halfcauliflower (broken into small florets)
- 1 Medium sweet potato (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Add two inches of cold water to a pot and add the chopped onions, ginger, carrot and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes, if the water evaporates, add more to the pot.
While the mixture is cooking, roast the cashews in the oven until golden brown for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and stir the mixture for a couple of minutes.
- Add the the plain or corn flour then slowly add a little of the stock making sure to blend in with the mixture before adding more. Keep doing this until all the stock is in the pot.
- Add the soy sauce/tamari, honey/maple syrup and cook gentle for 10 minutes.
- While the mixture is cooking, steam or microwave the broccoli, cauliflower and sweet potato. Remember, don't use any oil - it's water all the way!
- After 10 minutes, add the rice vinegar to the pot and garam masala. Stir together, then using a hand held blender, or a counter top blender, blend until the sauce is smooth.
- Serve on a bed of brown rice and sprinkle the scallions/spring onions and cashews over the top, and that's it. Enjoy!
Remember to leave me a message below if you’ve made ‘Plant-Based Katsu Curry’ and let me know if you enjoyed it.
Are You Ready To Lose Weight The Plant-Based Way? or Perhaps you just want to Switch to a Whole Food, Plant-Based Diet? Here’s some help for you…
Have you checked out my new Plant-Based Weight Course? Designed to teach you step by step how to lose weight by following a whole food, plant-based diet each module will empower you with the knowledge that will inspire and motivate you to lose weight and keep it off permanently. Check it out now!
If you want to switch to following a whole food, plant-based diet but aren’t interested in losing weight, then my new 23 Day Plant-Based Switch Course is for you. Designed to take you by the hand and lead you step by step over 23 days to switch from your usual diet to following a whole food, plant based diet it’ll give you all the information you need!