These Plant Based Adzuki Bean Burgers are super quick and easy to make. They’re much tastier than the shop bought variety and you can add your own favourite herbs and spices to them. Make sure you mould them firmly/squeeze them into shape to stop them falling apart.
These are great to eat for lunch or dinner. I had mine for lunch with the sweet potato chips/fries, crispy green salad and roasted red onions. You might want to eat yours on a wholemeal bun with lots of condiments such as mustard, chutney, hot sauce and with extras such as gherkins, fried onions (obviously not fried in oil, just water), three bean salad, chunky tomato, avocado and red onion salad, beetroot salad, corn on the cob or tabbouleh – the possibilities are endless!
I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
- Pyrex roasting dish
- Baking sheet
- 400 g tin adzuki beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon English mustard
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- half cup instant oats
- 2 garlic cloves crushed and chopped
- 1 sweet potato cut into long thin fries. No need to peel.
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius. Line two baking sheets with greaseproof/parchment paper and set a side. Place the cut sweet potato fries onto one of the baking sheets, making sure they don't overlap. Sprinkle generously with your choice of seasoning - fresh rosemary, black pepper, cayenne pepper for instance. Put into the oven for 15 minutes while you make the burgers.
- Put the adzuki beans into a bowl, mash with a fork leaving a few whole.
- Stir in the red onion, garlic, smoked paprika, ketchup and mustard. Then mix in the oats.
- Divide into four equal burgers, squeezing and forming into burger shapes.
- Remove the sweet potato fries from the oven and turn the fries. Put them back into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Place the burgers on the baking sheet and bake for 7 minutes in the oven. Turn, then bake for another 7 minutes or until they look lovely and crispy.
- Your sweet potato fries and plant based adzuki bean burgers should now be ready. Serve as you wish.
To finish up…
If you found this post helpful, please take a moment to SHARE it with your friends and family, just use the buttons on the left. Hopefully you will and so I’ll give you a big THANK YOU in anticipation.