This Cauliflower, Lentil, Potato And Coconut Curry is packed with wonderful flavours from the spices and delicious veggies. I love potatoes and cauliflower when they’ve been cooked like this. They absorb the flavours from the spices and literally melt in your mouth.
It’ll come as no surprise to you that this dish is nutrient packed – the cauliflower, a member of the super doper cruciferous veg family, are amazing cancer destroyers along with the allium family, of which onions and garlic are members. You’ll find all three in this dish, along with the wonderful legume – red lentils and the equally wonderful sweet potato.
Remember, don’t peel your sweet potatoes as they have nearly ten times the antioxidant power as the inner flesh.
Oh, and it’s also got the vibrant turmeric in there as well. Curcumin is the pigment in the turmeric that gives this dish its gorgeous yellow colour. As Dr Greger states in his book, How Not To Die:
“We have seen how curcumin may play a role in preventing or treating lung disease, brain disease, and a variety of cancers, including multiple myeloma, colon cancer, and pancreatic cancer. But curcumin has also been shown to help speed recovery after surgery and effectively treat rheumatoid arthritis better than the leading drug of choice.”
I hope you enjoy my nutritious and delicious new recipe for plant-based Cauliflower, Lentil, Potato And Coconut Curry as much as I do!
- brown rice cooked as per the packet instructions
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds any colour
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed, then finely chopped
- 1 green chilli deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 300 g red lentils rinsed until the water runs clear
- 1 small cauliflower cut into small florets
- 1 white potato peeled then chopped into equal sizes
- 1 sweet potato scrubbed, skin left on then chopped into equal sizes
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 400 g tin coconut milk
- 700 ml vegan stock
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut toasted in a dry pan
- If you're going to be having the dish with the brown rice, put it on to cook now.
- In a dry saucepan, add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds and cook on high until they start to jump. Take off the heat and place in a bowl.
- Add two to three cms / three to four inches of water to the same pot and cook the onion, chilli and garlic for 4-5 minutes. Then add all the remaining spices, fresh ginger and the toasted seeds to the pot and stir with the onions and garlic for two minutes.
- Add the chopped potatoes, cauliflower, lentils, coconut milk and half the stock. Stir them all together. Cover the pot and cook for 15 minutes.
- How's it doing? Does it need more of the stock you've set aside? If it does add it now and cook for a further 5 minutes. If it doesn't need anymore stock, keep cooking it for another five minutes anyway.
- Keep an eye on the pot throughout the whole cooking time to ensure it doesn't catch on. Stir frequently.
- Serve with the brown rice and sprinkle with the desiccated coconut and some freshly ground black pepper.
If losing weight is one of your goals this year then consider following a whole food, plant-based diet and you’ll not only be able to eat this delicious plant-based Cauliflower, Lentil, Potato And Coconut Curry, you’ll be able to lose weight too!
I’d love to hear how you like this recipe.
Let me know in the comments section below. Thank you!
Oh, and don’t forget to share it with your friends and family using the buttons to the left of this page.