This delicious Plant-Based Carrot, Lentil and Celery Curry makes a delicious and satisfying quick dinner when you want something to eat sooner rather than later!
Plus, as it’s Breast Cancer Awareness month this curry is packed with cancer fighting goodness. The carrots are rich in beta-carotene, nature’s yellow-orange pigment, a great antioxidant that’s also good at boosting your immunity and the tomatoes are full of lycopene. Lycopene is in the carotenoid family, it’s beta-carotene’s chemical cousin, and it is actually a much more powerful antioxidant.
A study at Harvard University showed that men who had just two servings of tomato sauce per week had 23 percent less prostate cancer risk compared to those who rarely had tomato products.
Whatever you choose to eat this month, make a plan to eat least 3 to 6 mg of beta-carotene-rich fruits and vegetables each day. It’s easy! That’s just half a sweet potato, half a cup of butternut squash, one cup of cantaloupe or a couple of carrots. I’ve added a handful of spinach to mine as well, just add it at the very end and let it wilt. Delicious!
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 400 g can of chopped tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons curry powder of your choice
- fresh lemon juice
- 200 g red lentils
- 1/2 pint Marigold vegan bouillon
- 4 portions brown rice cooked as per the packet instructions
- Put the chopped onions, garlic and carrots into a pot with 2 cm of water. Gently sauté over a medium heat for 5-7 minutes. Add more water if it dries out.
- Add the lentils, chopped tomatoes, celery, tomato puree and curry powder to the pot and stir together. Add at least half a pint of stock, stir again then cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes checking regularly incase it catches on. Cook it for a bit longer if the lentils haven't softened. If it dries out too quickly just add more stock.
- Spoon into warm bowls and then squeeze the lemon juice over the curry.
Up above, I shared with you Plant-Based Carrot, Lentil and Celery Curry. Please share it with your friends and family using the buttons above to the left.