I’m stuck. ‘What can I eat on a whole food plant based diet?’ Well, there are lots of foods you can eat and they fall into four main groups:
- legumes – beans and pulses
- whole grains
Here’s a fuller list all of which each can form the core of a substantial and filling meal:
Barley, brown rice, buckwheat, bulgur (cracked wheat), couscous, corn, millet, oats, quinoa, rye, wheat berries and wild rice
Barley, buckwheat, corn, lima bean, oat, potato, rice, rye, soy, wheat, whole wheat pastry
Egg free pastas
Artichoke pasta, corn pasta, spinach pastas, tomato pasta, whole wheat pasta.
Buckwheat soba, rice noodles, somen, udon
Red kidney beans, mung beans, pinto beans, cannellini beans, black beans, limas, red lentil, brown lentil, green lentil, black eyed peas, green peas, split yellow peas, whole green peas.
And here’s some fruit and vegetables you can also add:
Apples, bananas, pears, nectarines, peaches, grapes, pomegranate, passion fruit, kiwi fruit, mango, strawberries, raspberries, lychee, quine, papaya, guava, kumquat, cherries, to name but a few
Kale, spinach, broccoli, sprouts, sprouting beans e.g. lentil, mung, bean, watercress, lettuce, cucumber, spring onions, tomatoes, celery, celeriac, artichokes, Swiss chard, peppers, mushrooms, beans, radish, parsnips, water chestnuts, yams, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, butternut,
However, try to stay clear of the following foods. They should never, ever be part of your daily diet. Ever.
- Meat e.g. beef, lamb, pork in any way for instance as chops, minced, steaks, bacon
- Poultry e.g. chicken, turkey ,duck
- Dairy foods such as milk, cheese, cottage cheese, butter, yoghurt, sour cream, cream
- Animal fats such as butter, margarine, lard
- Oils such as coconut, olive, sunflower, vegetable, sesame, walnut
- Processed and packaged foods, except for certain ones that contain only the permitted ingredients
The lists above give you good idea of what you can eat on a whole food, plant-based diet. There’s lots more information that I’ve written here that you can read to learn more about what a whole food, plant-based diet is and how it can help you.