Eating a whole food plant based diet is an incredibly nourishing and enriching way to help you heal, remain disease free, have loads of energy and live life to the full, but giving up sweets, crisps, chocolate, fried food, dairy, meat and chicken can be difficult. Often it’s the sensation and texture of the food that we crave. The smooth creaminess of dairy and chocolate, the crunch of crisps the chewiness of meat and the sweetness of candy and sweets not to mention the gumminess of pastels.
Making the transition to eating a whole food plant based diet can be difficult as you may think you’ll be giving up on the texture of some of the foods that you’ve grown up with.
If this sounds like you, here are 9 Really Easy Ways To Convert A Traditional Meal Into A Whole Food Plant Based Meal:
- Use vegetable stock instead of chicken, meat or fish. If you’re looking for a meatier flavour then try adding tamari or miso paste to the stock to your taste.
- Use agar agar flakes if a recipe calls for gelatine. Agar agar is a gelatinous substance derived not from animal bones, but seaweed that works as a thickening agent.
- If you’re missing the mouthfeel of ground meat then use finely chopped mushrooms, beans or cooked lentils.
- To make whole food plant based buttermilk just add two teaspoons of lemon juice or white vinegar to 250ml of soya or almond milk.
- If you’re craving cream cheese icing try this really simple recipe from Forks Over Knives: Puree 250ml of cashew nuts then add the juice of one lemon, one eighth of a cup of maple syrup, one teaspoon of pure vanilla extract and a splash of water. Then pour over your cake.
- If a recipe calls for cream, try using a plain soya or rice based yoghurt with no added sugar, additives or preservatives.
- When you’re baking use apple sauce or another fruit puree or mash such as banana, pumpkin. This will add the moisture that is often needed.
- When a recipe calls for an animal fat or vegetable oil try using a nut butter or seed spread instead. They’ll give the recipe a lovely rich flavour.
- Instead of using eggs try using Ener-G Egg Replacer. This is a culinary egg substitute that’s a blend of raising ingredients and stabiliser in a potato starch and tapioca flour base. It won’t scramble and you can’t make omelets with it but it’s ideal for baking cakes, pancakes and Yorkshire puddings.
Why don’t you give them a try and let me know how you get on?
 Mouthfeel – the tactile sensation a food gives to the mouth: a creamy mouthfeel.
Sign-up today to receive our newsletter straight to your inbox every week.
We value your privacy and would never spam you
Up above, I shared with you 9 Really Easy Ways To Convert A Traditional Meal Into A Whole Food Plant Based Meal. If you found this post helpful, please take a moment to SHARE this post with people you think will find it valuable. You can use the buttons to share this post with your social networks. Hopefully you will and so I’ll give you a big THANK YOU in anticipation.
But, I also want to finish off with a question that I’d like you to answer…
What do you think? Did you try any of them? Let me know what you think below.